Tuesday, June 3, 2008

No real New News

Well I have been a slacker lately. I love weekends but find it sad that I am more busy on the weekend then I am during the week. I will have to force myself to stay up later so I can update this blog! Darren took the day off work tonight to plant the garden, but spent most of his evening watering the sod that we scored from the high school field they were renovating, so he is beat and sleeping away, it made it easy to come in here and write a little.

Thanks to the help of Dad and Jeremy and John and a few friends of Jer we were able to get about 1/3 of the sod that we will need to finish the back yard. The original plan was for Dad to use Darren's help to get the sod for his home, but Mom put the kibosh on that one so we benefited from his knowledge of the when and where to get it. The boys worked all day on the project and I just want to say how much we appreciate the efforts and hard labor to help us save a little money. We have such great family!

Watering the sod (that is in a temporary spot for now) has proven to be hours of work daily. We were using the house water and the pressure was less then desired so with both Darren and I watering it took over an hour. Thanks to dad though, he and Darren were able to tap into the existing pipes to get us access to the pressurized irrigation, so we are now just moving a sprinkler around every 30 min or so. Darren is still burning the midnight oil moving the water. I think he actually enjoys getting up at 5am and being out in the quiet morning and just breathing. We all know that he would be happiest in complete silence! That guy missed out on what his calling in life should be, a chicken rancher/vegetable gardener. It is funny to me that in any other situation he would be dragging his butt out of bed, but when it has to do with plant and animal life well he is bouncing up and leaping to the task.
The kids got out of school last Friday and that was very fun to see all their journals and things that they had been working on through the school year. Lucy got a class award for "most creative writer" and I can see why as I read through her journal. She has a creative mind (a little scary too) Zach also has some interesting things to say in his journal, I just wonder where they get all the thoughts that are bouncing around in their brains. It makes me laugh and I am sure they will find it quite comical when they get older. If I get time I will have to quote some of the creative minds masterpieces.
Zach and I went on a bike ride this morning after we found a nice bike trail following the river earlier last week. It was very fun to be out with him, man he loves riding his bike. I think if I had allowed it, he would have gone 20+ miles.
We did finally get our furniture for the family room. I hate the couches, but freaking moron furniture salesguy won't take them back because they were "custom" ordered. Is that what we call ordering from a catalog? We are still trying to decide what to do with the set. On a better note, I do love the table and chairs. Averie decided to scratch her initial in the table... yep one day after owning a new piece, she is already breaking it in, her punishment is grounded for a month from all candy, one week of nothing fun, 100 chores and I can't remember what the last thing is however, as harsh as the penalty seems for that crime, it didn't stop her from chucking gum up on the wall (found that little treat a few hours ago) man! what do you do with these kids!
I better sign off, I can hear Darren sawing logs in the other room, if I don't get him to be quiet he will wake up all the kids and probably 3 houses down each direction. Oh wait I wanted to write something Lucy said so I won't forget it. On Saturday I was fixing lunch for all the kids and all of them were anxiously awaiting the pb& j at the bar, we were having casual conversation when a fly buzzed me very close and most of you know i can't stand flying things... anyway I over dramatically (apparently) swatted and cursed at the thing while shooing it away off the food when Lucy pops out, "Wow Mom, dinner and a show". Very mature for this little 6 year old, very mature and sassy! anyway good night!

1 comment:

Kimmy said...

Thats hilarious! She is definately your daughter. We are so excited to see your new house! And sorry about the furniture. That sucks!